In response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas, the Austin Disaster Relief Network (ADRN) is mobilizing the Greater Austin community and its network of churches to collect and donate disaster relief supplies for survivors. Those interested in supporting this effort are being asked to make a financial gift and/or to assemble and donate CARE KITS for survivors.
CARE KIT DONATION
A list of items needed for Care Kits can be found below. Simply assemble items and place in sturdy plastic containers with fitted lids. Care Kits can be delivered to the Hope Family Thrift Store Monday - Saturday from 10AM-5PM at the receiving dock (Closed on Sunday).
Additionally, ADRN is accepting donations of buckets, mops, inflatable mattresses, and box fans.
Clothing is not needed - ADRN will donate clothing from the Hope Family Thrift Store to survivors.
Care Kit Contents
Towel (if family kit, purchase 4)
Washcloth (if family kit, purchase 4)
Toothbrush (If family kit, purchase 4)
Deodorant (If family kit, purchase 4)
Feminine Products (family or female version only)
Comb (if family kit, purchase 4)
Blanket (if family kit, purchase 4)
Pillow (as many as you can fit in if it is a family kit)
*Baby Bottles/Formula (with baby version only)
*Diapers (with baby version only)
*Baby Food (with baby version only)
**A note of encouragement for the family or individual (children write wonderful notes!)
How to put a Care Kit together:
- Determine if you want to build a Family Care Kit, Family Care Kit with Baby, Individual Male Care Kit and/or Individual Female Care Kit. Go shopping!
- Purchase a sturdy plastic container with a lid so we can easily stack them when we ship them
- Fill the container with listed items above
- Place a 12” strip of grey duct tape on the top of your container to label (duct tape is preferred). Write with a Sharpie, "Family Care Kit" or "Family with Baby Care Kit", "Individual Male Care Kit", or "Individual Female Care Kit"
- Drop your Care Kit(s) off at Hope Family Thrift Store, 1122 East 51st Street, Austin, 78723 (Monday-Saturday, 10AM-5PM, Closed on Sunday)
Help Austin Disaster Relief Network meet the immediate emergency needs of survivors and help fund the long-term repairs/rebuilds of their homes by making a donation!
HOW WE HELP
Austin Disaster Relief Network (ADRN), a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, is comprised of over 190 Greater Austin churches and thousands of trained volunteers bringing hope into crisis. We prepare, train and equip our network of volunteers in advance to meet the emotional, physical, and spiritual needs of those impacted. Our primary goal is to sponsor families affected by disaster through our Disaster Relief Shepherd Program, walking with survivors through recovery until they are back on their feet and in a clean and safe home. ADRN funds the rebuilding/repair of homes and provides emergency financial support to survivors in need.
HOW WE ARE RESPONDING...
- Financial assistance is being provided to meet the immediate and long-term needs of survivors.
- ADRN is collecting Care Kits assembled by community members. Care Kits are being collected at the receiving dock of the Hope Family Thrift Store. These kits will be shipped with other supplies by truck to Florida. Kits and supplies will then be distributed to families impacted by the hurricane.
- ADRN is working in partnership with the other disaster relief organizations in its relief efforts.
- Additional warehouse locations are being prepped to receive large quantities of donated items. Items will be sorted and loaded on trucks, partnering with several companies within Austin, to deliver survivor supplies to areas impacted by need.